For my daughter’s 7th birthday, we threw her a Mystery Menu Dinner Party. It is a three-course meal. Each course includes four items. The menu then consists of 12 different things, and all three courses must be ordered at the very start of the meal. No switching after the orders have been placed. The catch? The 12 items are not named clearly. The menu has simply clues as to what the item might actually be. In addition, three of the 12 items are their utensils.
The first time we did this, the kids had a blast. I promised the kids at the beginning of the dinner that all 9 food items were common kid-friendly foods. I also told them that, for tonight only, they were allowed to eat with their hands. They would be given unlimited napkins, and if they made a mess, it was okay. One of my favorite moments of that first dinner was when a little girl’s first course include animals crackers, a knife, a fork, and a spoon. Two courses later she was given a plate with Jell-O, spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, and pudding.
For her 8th and 9th birthday parties, we have done the same thing. Some of the kids have now been to three consecutive mystery dinners, and they love them. This year, we added a twist. The menu had a Star Wars theme, and I added drinks. The menu consisted of a total of 15 items – 9 foods, 3 utensils, 3 drinks – and three courses. For one of the courses, one of the kids ended up with a plate, a spoon, and three drinks. Earlier though, he became the only kid with the sloppy joe and the bun in the same course. He was quite proud of having an actual sandwich. Here were the menu items, and what the item actually meant.
- Sarlacc – Gummy worms
- Bantha Fodder – Sloppy Joe
- Princess Leia’s Hairdo – Hamburger bun
- Dagobah Swamp – Applesauce
- Ewok Fingers – Cocktail wieners in barbecue sauce
- Tie Fighters – Cheese and crackers, put togehter on a toothpick to resemble a Tie-Fighter.
- Rancor Legs – BBQ Chicken legs
- Thermal Detonators – Cuties (small, easily pealable oranges)
- Light Sabres – Pretzel Rods dipped in green-colored almond bark.
- Hydrospanner – Spoon
- Tusken Raider Spear – Fork
- Driod Antennae – Toothpicks
- Darth Vaderade – Fruit Punch
- Bantha Milk – Milk with one drop of blue food coloring
- Hoth Soup – Water
Follow The Fat Pastor on Facebook